Powered By Blogger
Powered By Blogger

Style Weekly: "the politics of fear and a growing racial divide still cripple Richmond [Virginia]." Mayor Douglas Wilder: "a cesspool of corruption and inefficiency." Ninth most dangerous city in the US. The state claims that "Virginia is for lovers" but the General Assembly passed a law "which some contend is the most anti-gay legislation in the country." (Style Weekly) And don't get me started on Henhicko County, Native American for "land of the hicks." Now at www.richmondsucks.com.

August 14, 2006

You ain't done nothing

Woke up Sunday morning at 12:35 to the sound of loud music, laughter, and the clinking of glasses. The people in the house behind me are having a party. I tell then to knock it off or I'm calling the police. I trudge down to the station to save minutes on my cell phone. Why get the runaround on the phone and spend money when I can get the runaround in person and save? The person behind the desk tells me the party patrol will check it out. The party ends after many amplified expressions of the n-word and various other obscenities at 2:30 a.m. - voluntarily.

I trudge down to the police station later Sunday morning where an Asian policewoman tells me what I already know - that they can't do anything once the party is over - and what I don't know - that the party patrol doesn't work in my area, only in the Fan District. But it's nice to know that the Richmond Police Department is not just misinformed and ineffectual - it's diverse and misinformed and ineffectual.

Hey, guys, to paraphrase Robert Townsend, if you want to sit on your ass and talk about sports and vacations, there are plenty of good jobs at the VCU James Branch Cabell Library reference desk.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"...the quintessential everyman, he's a little bit of everything that we're all striving for... mostly the search for the truth in our lives. From poignant notions of love to our own inescapable lascivious tendencies, from mundane to the outlandish, on that journey we face tough questions, but even tougher decisions. He'll take you on his journey and back, he won't promise you enlightenment (who can?), but you can at least be assured of a good time. Thanks..." - boyzco