Powered By Blogger
Powered By Blogger

Style Weekly: "the politics of fear and a growing racial divide still cripple Richmond [Virginia]." Mayor Douglas Wilder: "a cesspool of corruption and inefficiency." Ninth most dangerous city in the US. The state claims that "Virginia is for lovers" but the General Assembly passed a law "which some contend is the most anti-gay legislation in the country." (Style Weekly) And don't get me started on Henhicko County, Native American for "land of the hicks." Now at www.richmondsucks.com.

November 16, 2005

Good afternoon, New York City


The Falling Leaves 0013
Originally uploaded by lorenzodom.
The Falling Leaves 0013
The Falling Leaves and the Mise en Scene

Sometimes things fall into place perfectly.

And quite often it’s simply a matter of seeing it that way.

I was scampering to work this morning when I came upon the southeast corner of 29th Street and 8th Avenue, which was littered with freshly fallen yellow leaves that had just been pulled from their petioles by last night’s rain.

Two steps awry I fell back with the pull of the splendor that lie at my feet, an undeniable beauty that called to me and persuaded me to pull out my camera.

For there, within a square of six feet, was an infinite variety of patterns juxtaposing the strewn autumn gold against the cold lines, rough cracks and black gum blemishes that had been hard pressed into the pavement by the countless scurrying steps hurrying to get wherever one must go in this grand metropolis.

I was enamored by the plethora of possibilities and angles and resplendence that presented itself before me, and could not help but revel in my fortune.

Knowing I was already late to work I cut my photographic mining short and hastened the pace eastward and onward.

Alas, once again I came upon a wonderful mise en scene near the corner of 28th Street and 6th Avenue that grabbed me, one depicting the magnificent rush inherent in city life. Hence, once again, I had to take the camera out of the bag, change my settings and patiently wait for all the elements to congeal into an endless salmagundi of different shots—of taxis and pedestrians moving in and out of the scene that lie between the latest series of iPod ads, the subway station and one of Manhattan’s beautiful painted ladies.

For certain I was now really late for work and pressed forth to the office that lie all but two blocks away. Nonetheless and allthemore, it was quite the worth the risk of the boss's chagrin and reprimand because once again I had seen and been privy to another bewitching moment, another reason why I am so in love with this great city.

Everyday we are all presented with similar opportunities to see how magnificent life really is—we just have to make an effort to see it that way.

*

This musing is featured as today's daily chronicle of the lost man chronicles, (Wednesday, November 16, 2005).

- Flickr friend lorenzodom

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
"...the quintessential everyman, he's a little bit of everything that we're all striving for... mostly the search for the truth in our lives. From poignant notions of love to our own inescapable lascivious tendencies, from mundane to the outlandish, on that journey we face tough questions, but even tougher decisions. He'll take you on his journey and back, he won't promise you enlightenment (who can?), but you can at least be assured of a good time. Thanks..." - boyzco